LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Monday, July 30, 2012

THE KALEIDOSCOPE TURNS -- A REVIEW

Imagine, if you will, a happily-ever-after kind of marriage that slowly turns into a worst-case-scenario: a minefield of hidden explosives. You would then understand a little bit about the lives of Nick and Amy Dunne.

She was the main character in her parents' Amazing Amy series that made them rich. She was the only child, spoiled, receiving all the attention, yet craving something more.

And there is Nick, born in the Midwest and dreaming of a special kind of life. A writer, someone who could also claim the spotlight. But then the economy collapsed. He and Amy both lost their New York jobs and that life. It's back to Missouri to Nick's hometown for the two of them, and the slow dismantling of the perfect life begins.

Suddenly a dramatic shift: it's their fifth anniversary and Amy is gone. The search, the spotlight on Nick as a killer, and the now flat and devastated turf of their lives is shown to the clamoring public.

Told through alternating points of view, we see Nick's story and what he shows us in bits and pieces; then we see Amy's tale told through diary entries.

But in several surprising twists and turns, we begin to form a new picture of each of them. Gone Girl: A Novel reminds me a bit of the kaleidoscope toy I enjoyed in childhood: you turn it one way, and the pieces assemble. Then, with another shift, you have something entirely different.

Gillian Flynn kept me captivated all through this story, and I kept guessing about how things would unfold, but she surprised me still again. Could I even imagine how it would all turn out? No...but then again, grab your kaleidoscope and watch it all reassemble in still another way. Five stars!

13 comments:

  1. I love the name of the book. Sounds really good. Adding it to my list.
    Have a great week,
    Natalie :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing...and incredible. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by, Natalie, and I hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book I have on my wish list. Have read so many good comments about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Harvee, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!!!! I am so glad yu enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when I can't out-think the plot. Thanks for sharing, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila, it was even better than I expected! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so do I, Joylene...really keeps me on my toes. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I'm convinced I have to read this book! Loved your kaleidoscope analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, Laura; yes, the kaleidoscope just came to me, since the story kept shifting and changing. Reality and perspective seemed to rearrange itself....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad I did, too, Patty...sometimes I worry about not liking the books everyone else is gushing about. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!