LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

AMARYLLIS: A VENOM HIDES WITHIN ITS BORDERS -- A REVIEW

In the scrappy little town of Amaryllis, Mississippi, five unsolved murders have occurred in the last three years. And just two nights ago, there was a sixth one.

A feature writer for the Jackson Bugle, Trent Williams, has won a Pulitzer for his coverage of the murders.

Three women living in Amaryllis are all affected in one way or another by the killings, and Gone to Ground: A Novel is told in their alternating narrative voices. They are Cherrie Mae, Deena, and Tully.

How is each woman somehow connected to what is unfolding in their little town, a town where people are friendly, and where, on the surface, Amaryllis seems much like the flower for which it is named—a flower that, unfortunately, is poisonous?

As the women eventually get together and share bits and pieces of the puzzle known to them, the reader begins to figure out what really happened. But there are twists and turns none of them saw coming, and in the end, they were all stunned by the big reveal.

I liked how the poisonous flower came to represent the tone of the town and its gossips. In this excerpt, a gardener is describing the process of weeding the flower and the reasons why:

"`The bulbs like to have a bit of their tops exposed,' he says in his heavy Southern drawl. `Leave `em alone too many years, and you'll find `em sunk too low, hidin'. You could say they've gone to ground.' He makes a sound deep in his throat as he ponders his choice of words. `Sort of like that killer we can't find.'"

The story captured my interest from the very first page and I was riveted until the very end, wondering what surprises would be waiting for me within the pages. Five stars.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one. I did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first glanced at it, I wasn't sure...plus, it was an unsolicited review book, so I'm always a bit wary. I was, therefore, very pleasantly surprised.

    Thanks for stopping by, Nise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these types of stories. Thanks, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do I, Joylene! Thanks for stopping by....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this and need to get to it!!!

    This is one of my favorite kinds of boos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had it quite awhile before I read it, but I was very happy that I did. Thanks for stopping by, Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a very chilling book! I love books that reveal a secret!
    Loved your blog! following you now...
    Please do visit my book blog at http://riversihaveknown.com/ and if you like it, please do follow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it was definitely chilling, Little Girl Lost. Thanks for stopping by....

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!