LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

WATERSHED MOMENTS -- A REVIEW

When an English teacher living in Lisbon Falls, Maine, reads an extraordinary paper from one of his adult GED students about a day that changed his life, he is moved in such a way that it becomes one of those life-changing moments.

Then, seemingly by chance, Jake Epping's friend, Al, who owns a diner, shows him a "wormhole" to the past that can be entered into and returned from several times. However, after each return, only two minutes have gone by, even though the time traveler can stay in the new place for five years.

But there is a downside, possibly a warning against traveling back and forth: after each return, there is a reset, and sometimes, the changes that unfold afterwards are not good ones.

Nevertheless, Jake decides to take a leap and try for the ultimate change: Preventing the assassination of JFK.

He does a couple of test runs, and then, on his third try, finds himself in various towns in Texas, keeping track of Lee Harvey Oswald. At some point, he ends up in Jodie, Texas, where unexpectedly he falls in love.

How will love alter the events that play out? Will the price of heroism be too high? And what, ultimately, will happen to the world afterwards?

11/22/63: A Novel was a totally engaging novel filled with enough facts to make the story seem all too real. I might have read it in one sitting if I'd managed to stave off the eye blurring and fatigue, since it was so hard to put down. Despite taking it on in bits and pieces when I could, the story flowed, showing such rich and enjoyable characters that felt real, like the first-person narrator Jake Epping, who became George Amberson in Mid-Century America. The fast-paced tale with its many twists and turns, and the somewhat startling conclusion, left me longing for a replay of a few parts. I wanted to travel back to the world inhabited so happily by these characters—between tense and suspenseful moments—before everything changed for them. I would luxuriate with them in the slow-moving, more innocent time that characterized the world before the computer age. As much as I love our technological advances, there is something to be said for those nostalgic times that King brought back to me in such vivid detail. Five stars!

10 comments:

  1. I just started listening and am tempted to pick up the book 'cause I read faster than I listen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize this was a time travel novel! I don't like horror so I've never read Steven King before, but I will give this one a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Nise, that's why I can't listen to books...they would take too long!

    I hope you enjoy this one...it's the best of Stephen King that I've read...and I'm more into the time travel than horror.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I'm not a horror fan, either, although I've read some of King's horror...but this time travel is more to my liking, too. Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love time travel and the paradox problems. This sounds very good and I might pick it up with my Audible membership. Although I too can read faster than I listen I get more listening time in while doing chores etc. :-)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha, I didn't realize how much I would enjoy this one, although I was willing to chance it...I love anything Kennedy, so I was eager to see King's spin on things.

    As for audio....that makes sense to listen while doing chores, but I try to avoid chores as much as possible...lol

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always astounded when someone remarks negatively about Mr. King's writing. I can't help myself, my jaw drops, I shake my head, and I wonder "Are you nuts!"

    This is another great book. Okay, I admit, I don't read his scary ones because I can't separate myself from them. But his suspense novels, can't get enough of them.

    Thanks so much, Laurel. This is on my list. Now I just need a maid, cook, launder (word?) and remodelling expert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved it, Joylene...and I have another of his books on my stacks: Lisey's Story.

    Thanks for stopping by, and I wish you luck with all the remodeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with every word of your review! That's exactly how I felt about the book! My favourite book of the year so far, and I've read some good ones.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Wendy...I think it's definitely going to be in my top favorites this year, too.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!