LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A TALE OF SELF-DISCOVERY & FRIENDSHIP -- A REVIEW

Rachel and Sara Beth have been best friends forever. Ever since their school days their lives have moved along parallel paths, wishing upon stars and celebrating birthdays together. Like their fortieth birthday, which they're celebrating in Manhattan: staying at The Plaza; planning outings, like breakfast at Tiffany's; climbing to the top of the Empire State Building; and just sharing the moments.

But something happens on their first day that changes the course of their lives for months to come. While eating lunch, Sara Beth gets up to go to the rest room...and then disappears.

Later, the waiter delivers a note asking Rachel to give her time; she needs to get away; please don't call anyone.

Frantically the search begins, however, since Rachel cannot just go on without trying to find her. She meets up with a mounted police officer named Michael, who gives her advice and then starts helping her look.

Throughout this wonderfully layered story, we can identify with one woman's quest to find herself by pulling and tugging at the threads of the life she's created. She explores the what-ifs, the roads not taken. She tries to deal with the loss of her mother and the loss of a special shared dream. Meanwhile, the frayed connections between the two friends take Rachel along another path. A journey of her own that will lead to unexpected joy.

Whole Latte Life is a lyrical, poetic foray into finding oneself and renewing old ties. It is a tale of loss, grief, and healing. It is a story that reminds the reader of the importance of family, friendship, and love. Five stars.
***
Author Joanne DeMaio:
Joanne DeMaio is an author, exploring through her writing the journey to living a fulfilling life.  Her novel WHOLE LATTE LIFE is now an Amazon best seller in Women's Fiction/Friendship.  In addition, her music essays have appeared in literary journals, celebrating her passion for song, in print.  Joanne lives with her family in Connecticut, where the coffee is always brewing, either in her country kitchen or a favorite coffee shop, and the talk is ever flowing over a fresh cup of java.
***
Joanne Says:

I am an author of contemporary women's fiction and nonfiction, exploring the mother-daughter relationship and themes of friendship, made fresh through coffee branding.

I try to bring the feelings associated with coffee to the page.  My hope is that you will find comfort, peace, dialogue, and friendship in all my work.   
***
Check our more at Joanne's website.

14 comments:

  1. I loved reading your thoughts on this one...sounds like a book that I would absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Staci...I hope you do enjoy it.

    I loved the story about friendship...and the intriguing bits and pieces that kept me turning pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This one sounds good. Looking at the cover didn't draw my in but your review sure did. Adding to my TBR. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, lsl_scrapper...glad you liked the review. Hope you enjoy the book, and I'm glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stories about friendship with all their ups and downs are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, absolutely, Nise...my favorites, too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laurel, I really enjoyed your thoughts about the story, especially how Sara Beth explores her life's what-ifs. That's a theme I like to explore in my writing, all those what-ifs we might wonder about, and the possibility of them. Thanks so much for taking the time to review my novel.

    ~Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Joanne...I'm glad you liked my review.

    It's wonderful that you stopped by, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another wonderful book. This really does sound like something I'd love to read. I'm putting it on my list. Thanks, Laurel. I can't tell you how many friends I've passed your blog along to. I hope some of them get in touch and let you know how much they enjoy your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, Joylene, for checking out my reviews and passing along my blog info.

    I hope you enjoy this book; I think it's a wonderful friendship story. Glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like an interesting read. It's so refreshing to read books about relationships that aren't romantic, like friendships and families. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this book, Lindsey...glad you could stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like something that I may thoroughly enjoy. Thank you for the review and recommendation.
    - FABR Steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks FABR Steph...I hope you do enjoy it; glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!