LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A FAMILY TORN APART BY THEIR CHOICES -- A REVIEW

For someone who seemingly prefers a "loner" lifestyle, living amongst the packs of wolves he studies, Luke Warren suddenly is brought into the center of a controversy that rocks the human world in which he resides and impacts every member of his family and their community.

His daughter Cara, his long-estranged son Edward, and his ex-wife Georgie—all tell their version of the story and how each of them has been affected by Luke's choices. They do so in first person narrative, alternately showing us their truths and how they perceive the events of their lives, especially those in relation to Luke. We are also shown snippets from Luke that tell us much of what he has learned about wolves and pack dynamics. These snippets continue throughout Lone Wolf: A Novel, interspersed with those of family members, and later, of others who are brought into the story through their roles in relation to the family.

For one night, Luke and Cara are in an automobile accident that leaves him gravely injured and decisions must be made.

What led to Edward's abrupt departure six years before? What went on between father and son that tore at the very fabric of their lives? Why did Cara choose to live with her father in a trailer near a wolf compound instead of with her mother and her newly created family of husband and new babies? And what happened the night of the accident that Cara is keeping to herself?

As always, I found myself totally captivated by the story and the writer's style of communicating it. My emotions were captured and I began "taking sides," preferring some over the others. Then, as more of the story came to light, my loyalties shifted slightly; almost as if the new information tilted my perspective on its axis.

While Luke's story gave me insight into his life, his choices, and how he perceived families, especially the wolf families, I began to feel as if his "voice" was intrusive. It interrupted the flow of the story for me, and I just wanted to skip over his parts. I didn't, but I then realized that I had cast him aside like the "lone wolf" he was in the community of humans.

Cara was also a character that had to "grow" on me; for the most part, I felt she was particularly narcissistic. Yes, she was only seventeen, but she seemingly believed what she wanted translated into the way it should be. Her emotions ruled her to the point that she couldn't see anyone else's side of things. Toward the end, however, she did begin to show a glimmer of awareness of others.

One thing I can definitely say about each of the characters: they aroused feelings, which is the hallmark of good characterization, in my opinion. The plot was intensely captivating and kept me interested throughout the story. Definitely five stars.

14 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one. I'm a huge Jody Picoult fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So am I, Meg! I'm already eagerly awaiting her next one...lol

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one just may be my first Picoult book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Nise...hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds wonderful, but honestly, Laurel, that's because you are a master at reviews. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could read more books and let the rest of my chores pile up. LOL. Yeah, not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joylene...I'm glad you enjoy my reviews.

    I must admit that I allow dusting and other chores to go for relatively long periods, but at first glance, my house looks okay because it's "picked up." lol

    I'm pretty compulsive about some chores, like kitchen and bathrooms.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will see if I can snag a copy of this at the library. It sounds like another winner from Picoult! I love how she makes her readers think. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so do I, Beth. Hope you find it and enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading this at the moment - not very far into it, but enjoying it so far. I'm enjoying the fact that for once it's not about a mother's complete devotion to one child to the detriment of another!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I was glad about that, too, Kylie. Thanks for stopping by, and hope you enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a huge Jodi Picoult fan and bought this one when it came out but a close friend was hugely disappointed with it so I put it aside for another time. After reading your thoughts, I might just reconsider :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know some readers have expressed disappointment with this one...and I did find Luke's voice annoying after awhile; but overall, I loved the book.

    Thanks for stopping by, Teddyree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to see that you loved this. I have been wanting it for months before the release date but have yet to fit it in. Thanks for the great review.
    - FABR Steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting, FABR Steph...I did enjoy this one a lot! Hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!