LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

RICHLY TEXTURED DRAMA -- A REVIEW

Tom and Octavia Fleming are described by the media as a power couple. Attractive, wealthy, and poised on the cusp of a glorious future, neither of them is at all prepared for the events that blindside them.

Seemingly out of nowhere, an affair between Tom and a woman he refuses to name, catapults the two of them into a series of horrific scenarios that impact their personal and business lives.

Almost a Crime is a richly textured tale that feels as though it encompasses a vast period of time, but it really only spans a few months in the year 1997. Set in London, in the months preceding the shocking death of Princess Diana (in August), we watch as the rippling effects of Tom's affair circle out and touch everyone in their charmed circle.

Vincenzi's writing style takes the reader through a series of increasingly suspenseful vignettes, sharing a few morsels about each character, gradually revealing bits and pieces until we cannot stop reading and flipping pages, wanting to know more. Hints, clues, teasers—all lead to the dangerous events that will unravel gradually, reaching a crescendo of operatic proportions. Just when we thought that everything had finally revealed itself, we are stunned by another staggering blow.

How does the identity of Tom's mistress inform the lives of those around him? How do the machinations of Octavia's father add to the mix? Will Tom and Octavia finally resolve their differences, or will more and more complications arise for them? And how does an issue that threatens the land around Bartles Woods bring another layer of intrigue and suspense to the characters?

A wonderfully captivating novel full of enough detail to bring the reader right into the midst of the characters' lives, I could not put this one down...Despite its length. I'm giving this one five stars.

11 comments:

  1. Great review! The title also intrigues me. I'll put it on my list - something I'm trying not to do this year *sigh* because I'm trying to read mostly from my shelves. Wish me luck, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary...I'm going to try again! My typing skills flew out the window for a moment....

    I loved this book and find it hard to believe that I let it sit on my TBR shelves for so long. Its length felt intimidating, but in the end, once I started reading it, that didn't matter.

    Hope you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear about books that one could not put down. I just saw that she has a new book coming out shortly that looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that, too, Nise. I love this author!

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds fascinating, Laurel. But I suspect that's because of your wonderfully written review. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thanks for visiting, Joylene, and I'm glad you liked my review. The book is one I won't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been really curious about Penny Vinenzi. This sounds like a good read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting, Mrs. Q. I read another of her books called Sheer Abandon, and enjoyed it so much that I bought this one. Then it sat on my stacks (probably because of its chunkiness!), and then I decided to read it. I thought it might take a long time, but it was so intriguing I couldn't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Octavia. Thanks for the review.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Ann...I like it, too.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!