LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

THE HEALING POWERS OF CONNECTION -- A REVIEW

Victoria Jones has been shunted around from foster home to foster home, so when she lands on Elizabeth's doorstep at age ten, she doesn't believe anything will be different here.

But between Elizabeth and Victoria, there is the beginning of a unique connection. And a special language, derived from their mutual love of flowers and Victoria's eagerness to learn how to communicate through them.

There is also the first glimmer of hope, because Elizabeth has stated the desire to adopt her after one year together. But as the court date approaches, Victoria's and Elizabeth's fears mount and inevitably sabotage what ultimately could have been home for the two of them.

What does Victoria do to sabotage her placement? And what will Elizabeth do to express her own fears and why? Will a tragic event sever their ties forever?

When we first meet Victoria, she is eighteen and about to be emancipated from the system. She will go to a transitional home and try to forge her own life, despite the flawed and damaged person she has become. Moving seamlessly between the present and the pivotal tenth year of her life, The Language of Flowers: A Novel shows us Victoria's journey forward, while still fighting the demons that force her to cling to the past.

This beautifully wrought and true-to-life story resonated with me as it echoed the stories I have been privy to in my social work career. What set this journey apart was the connection through flowers and the almost magical power of this unique tool for communication. As the flawed and broken souls heal, we see a glimmer of hope and renewal. I loved this story and did not want to put it down! Five stars.


20 comments:

  1. I borrowed this from the library and wish now I had my own copy - for the list of flowers and their meaning in the back of the book! Wasn't it a good novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious as to what happens to this character at age 10. I guess I'll have to read the book! Glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I will put it on my list of books of watch for at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm glad I got my own copy of this one. It's one I'll definitely one to reread.

    Loved it!

    Thanks for stopping by, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, it was hard not to say more without spoiling it for readers. Hope you do get it and enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After skimming your review ;o), I want to pull my book out of the stack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I thought I would enjoy it, Nise, but it was even better than I expected. Hope you enjoy it, too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my kind of story. And to think, I just watched North and South for the first time last night. I'm going through my period readings right now, and this is on my list. Thanks, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoy this one, Joylene. I thought it was wonderful!

    Thanks for stopping by. And I've never watched North and South!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I think so, too, Cozy in Texas. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just picked this book up from the library today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoy it, Meg. I really really loved it! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Five stars! Must obtain a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved it, Deb. Hope you do, too! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been seeing positive reviews for this one everywhere, so I wasn't surprised to see that you liked it too. It is getting lots of good buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was very happy to enjoy this one...sometimes the books with buzz are underwhelming to me.

    Thanks for stopping by, Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful review, glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Teddyree...I loved it!

    I'm glad you did, too, and that you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this book. If anyone hasn't read it, give it a go. It is great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, me too, Elizabeth....thanks for stopping by, and for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!