LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

THE HAZARDS OF EXPECTING RELATIONSHIPS TO BRING HAPPINESS -- A REVIEW

When Zoe Clark's fiancé dumps her just before their big splashy wedding and after more than a decade together, she is stunned. And blindsided. When she discovers why, she suddenly doubts her instincts, her abilities to even have a relationship. And her job as a headhunter for a micromanaging, sometimes crazy boss doesn't give her much confidence, either.

After a period of mourning, time well spent in the company of best friends Angela and Kevin, she is suddenly swept up into what looks like a perfect relationship with the gorgeous advertising executive who works across the street. But is Oscar Thornton who he seems to be? And if something seems perfect, or too good to be true, what if it isn't?

I loved the characters in this story, from the great friendships between Zoe, Angela, and Kevin to the work relationships with people like Marvin, who sips from a flask in his desk, to New Girl, who tries very hard to forge her own way in the headhunting world. Even the micromanaging boss Carol made me laugh, as I recognized in her some of the bosses I've had over the years, one in particular.

But Oscar...now he was like a fictional hero, with his good looks, his charm, his money, and how he seemed to know just the right moves. In some ways, I really wanted him to be what he seemed, even as I knew he wouldn't be.

I was a bit surprised by events that unfolded, but then again, someone that perfect has to be hiding something big.

I especially enjoyed how the book ended, with Zoe finally realizing that, in order to be happy, she has to know what she wants. And she has to realize that happiness is an inside job. She has to make herself happy.

Great metaphorical connection between headhunting as a career and "hunting" for a new lover. The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbrokenis a wonderful five-star read that I recommend for anyone who loves books about careers, relationships, and Manhattan.

12 comments:

  1. The book sounds wonderful. It would make a good movie too. Thanks for sharing, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it was a fun read, full of great friendship moments as well as the disappointments that everyone encounters in life.

    But it wasn't a fluffy read...there were lots of issues that kept me interested.

    Thanks for stopping by, Joylene, and I think it would make a great movie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the message and the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Harvee...glad you liked the review...and I'm glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Headhunting and hunting for a new relationship...that is a new concept for a book. I wonder what Oscar as hiding? I will have to check it out. thanks for reviewing this book, Laurel. I have been curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the themes intriguing, Beth. I couldn't stop turning those pages...hope you enjoy it, too.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy that you enjoyed this one so much! I will be reading this one soon and now I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you like it, too, Amused. It was delightful. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a good one. I love books set in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so do I, Meg. Between the books and movies set in NY, I sometimes feel as though I've been there!

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been seeing this a lot. Thanks for your review, because now I think I would like to read it.

    By the way, you won my giveaway of Real Women, Real Wisdom on Rose City Reader. Congratulations!

    I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Rose City Reader! Awesome...and I sent you an e-mail.

    Glad you liked my review, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!