LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

SURVIVING PAIN & LOSS -- A REVIEW

What a sad childhood CeeCee Honeycutt is having in Willoughy, Ohio, with her mother unraveling a little bit at a time, and her father off traveling on business.

Camille Honeycutt was a beauty queen in Georgia, and her life as a transplant to the North has seemingly clipped her wings and shredded her soul. And CeeCee is too young to really understand what is happening to her mother. But she knows all too well the taunts, the jeers, and the horror of living without friends, since everyone has labeled her the child of that "weird woman."

Then CeeCee's mother dies in a tragic accident, and her father decides to send her to Savannah to live with her Great Aunt Tallulah (Tootie). But what CeeCee sees as abandonment by her father turns out to be the best thing that's ever happened to her.

From the moment that CeeCee steps into the beautiful old home in Savannah, her life gradually takes on a new shape, with loving people around her and the colorful world encircling her more every day.

The characters in Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel are reminiscent of all those old Southern tales I've enjoyed, with the dialogue and activities that make me think of the charm I've come to admire in every Southern book I have ever read. I loved Oletta, who reminded me of characters I enjoyed in The Help...and the quirky neighbors made me think of others I had come to adore with their "steel magnolias" kind of strength; the women in Aunt Tootie's world seemingly join together to create a new place for CeeCee until, finally, she feels as though she really belongs—at long last.

Five stars.

12 comments:

  1. I loved this book and I'm glad to see you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Mary...I found this to be a quick and seamless read; a colorful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CeeCee was one of my 2010 top ten reads--for the same reasons you liked it! I look forward to more from this author.
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this one too! It will be one that I reread for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed this one.
    I loved it!
    There was a buzz in the blogging world this week.

    Beth Hoffman has just found out this week that a UK publisher is to release this in the UK, after blogger Serendipity bugged them to take up this fab novel :)

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim: glad you stopped by to share your love of this book.

    Nise: I agree about the rereading part...thanks for stopping by.

    Dizzy C: Glad to hear the news about the UK release...thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one! It was a great read, and one that I recommend to everyone. Glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, Mrs. Q...wasn't this a great read? Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'm late to the party, but I just spotted this in your sidebar. So glad to see you loved this book as much as I did! Will have to tell Beth about your review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I even included it in my top ten favorites of 2011.

    Thanks for stopping by, Anna...it's never too late to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How in the world did I miss this? What a lovely review! Thank you so much for your kind words, Laural-Rain. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth, I am happy that you liked the review. I loved the book! Thanks for creating it.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!