LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

A TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT -- OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB PICK

















There was a lot of furor over Franzen's first book, The Corrections, after it was appointed to Oprah's famous book club.  Some of that tempest in a teapot was brought out into the open the other day when Oprah interviewed Franzen on her show.  Because she has appointed Freedom to the list this year!

So obviously the two of them have sorted out that whole fiasco already.  They talked about it on the show, in fact, and now we're moving on.

I've noticed that neither book got great ratings on Amazon, but I enjoyed The Corrections, and expect to like Freedom as well.

What others think about books affects me to a certain degree, but if I want to read something, based on whatever leads me in a particular direction, I'm going to do it, even if others are underwhelmed.

That said, I have now moved my copy of this latest book a little closer to the top of my stacks.  It's a hefty book, so I'll need to read it when I don't have a lot of competing books on my list.

What do the rest of you think?  Has anyone read either book, and did you love it or hate it?  Stop in and share, please....

LAUREL-RAIN SNOW CREATIONS

Visit me at the above link to check out my own creations....

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read either of those books. I quite Oprah's book club when she didn't recommend my DREAM REACHERS books or others... LOL

    Seriously, by Amazon having poor rankings for both must mean that Oprah is not always right. If she were she would have all of your and my books on there.

    COME ON, OPRAH! MAKE US RICH! lol

    All in fun, RAINY DAY!

    Hugs - Your friend Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can't argue with that logic, Ms. Bettykins....LOL.

    I can't imagine why we're not on her list, either.

    Maybe some day....

    Hey, I think it's appropriate that you called me "Rainy Day" on my Rainy Days and Mondays site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read either one and don't plan to, but I've been seeing Freedom promoed all over the place. When I read reviews I usually go to the worst ones first as they give me a better picture as to how I might feel about something. The good reviews seem sometime suspicious to me and often don't offer much real substance. The bad reviews (on Amazon) often have comments from others about the bad review that I've read.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Arlee...I agree that reviews don't necessarily tell the story. I don't usually pick "hyped" books, either, but I'd already read and enjoyed The Corrections.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!