LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Sheila, at Book Journey, hosts this exciting Monday meme, in which we organize and structure our reading week.

Books Read/Reviewed Last Week: (Click the Title for the Review)

1) The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott, by Kelly O'Connor McNees


2)  Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott


3)  Men and Dogs, by Katie Crouch


Ongoing:
Little Men, by Louisa May Alcott


Books on the List for This Week:

1)  Home to Big Stone Gap, by Adriana Trigiani

This one is another in Trigiani's series that began with Big Stone Gap, which I read a few weeks ago.

Tucked in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia is Big Stone Gap, the bucolic backdrop for Trigiani's popular series. In this fourth entry, Ave Maria Mulligan MacChesney and her husband, Jack, must come to terms with the absence of daughter Etta, newly married and living in Italy. (The country holds a special place in Ave Maria's heart: her biological father, Mario, whom she learned of and met only after her mother's death, is Italian.) Ave Maria has plenty to keep her mind off missing her only child (the MacChesney's son, Joe, died of leukemia at age four). She's a full-time pharmacist and the newly appointed director of the town's annual musical. Then comes news that her longtime friend, glamorous librarian Iva Lou, has been keeping a startling secret for nearly 20 years. Other developments, including a health scare for Jack and a Christmas visit from a colorful former resident, move the plot along briskly. With her original cast of characters, playwright and television writer Trigiani blends playfulness and pathos in this evocative portrait of a small southern town. Fans of the Big Stone Gap series can look forward to a feature film; Trigiani has written the screenplay and is slated to direct. Allison Block

2)  The Last Time I Saw You, by Elizabeth Berg

Here's a tidbit from Amazon:

A high school reunion and all of its attendant dramas is the backdrop of Berg's rose-tinted latest (after Home Safe). For Dorothy Shauman, her 40th reunion is the chance to finally hook up with her high school crush. She prepares weeks in advance for the big night, strange as that may seem, preening in front of the mirror. As Berg surveys the gamut of emotions felt by Dorothy and some of her classmates, she zeroes in on an array of stereotypes—the hot girls, the jocks, the in crowd, the out crowd—and considers what makes each one tick, offering the vanilla revelation that the person on the inside doesn't always match the person on the outside. It's cleanly plotted, ably written, and sure to appeal to boomers staring down the barrel of their own 40th reunions. (Apr.)
What are you reading this week?  Stop on by and share a little, so we can all add your books to our lists.


LAUREL-RAIN SNOW CREATIONS




40 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by, gautami...Yes, this has been a most enjoyable journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Stone Gap..loved that series. Absolutely loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home To Big Stone Gap looks really good. I have a couple Trigiani books on my shelf and can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent selections, absolutely wonderful. Happy reading! My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-31-may.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books you have lined up to read sound good. I liked Little Men better than little women. But I will admit that I liked Eight Cousins the best of all the Alcott I read. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to read the Big Stone Gap series - I have heard good things about these books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your review of The Lost Summer. Definitely makes me interested in reading this myself. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Staci, thanks for stopping by. I only read my first Big Stone Gap a few weeks ago...but I'm hooked, now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting, Alita...I have another Trigiani book on my stacks now, thanks to my MM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jennifer...glad you stopped by. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's interesting, Kathy...So far, I haven't felt that "familiar" cozy feeling, as I'm reading Little Men...the one I had with Little Women. Maybe I read Little Women more times! I do have Eight Cousins on my stack from the library...eager to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Sheila! And you even had tea with Adriana! lol...No, seriously, I have only read the Big Stone Gap series so far...but thanks to you, I now have Brava, Valentine.

    Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by, Jan...glad you liked the review.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "The Lost Summer" sounds wonderful! Thanks for the review! I love finding out about books I'd like to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the cover for Men and Dogs..looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read a lot of Alcott in high school, seeing them again makes me want to re read a few.

    Have a great week!!
    dollycas
    http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by, Jewelknits...glad you liked the review.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Jessica...Yes, I loved that cover, too.

    So dreamy...

    Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dolly, glad you stopped by. Isn't it fun to dip into the past and read those books? I'm thinking I should do Gone with the Wind again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh.. you read some good books!! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping by, Aths...reading is heavenly!!

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read Alcott for some time but remember really enjoying her work. :)

    My What are you reading? is here.

    Happy Monday. :)

    xx,
    E.J
    From the Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds wonderful :) Hope you have a great week!

    My week:
    http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=1347

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by, E.J. Hope you enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Crystal, thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had a fantastic week. I am new to Adriana Trigiani but want to read the Big Stone Gap series.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by, Nise...yes, this is a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like some great books. Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for stopping by, L. Harris...hope you enjoy your reading this week...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really want to read that book about Alcott. You probably know I adore Little Women. I haven't read Little Men yet and I also have Eight Cousins on my shelf. I have read The Inheritance by Alcott. It was good too.

    Great reading accomplished...have a nice reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really want to get my hands on The Inheritance.

    Thanks for stopping by, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks, Sarah...glad you stopped by. Hope you enjoy your reading week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all the Louisa May Alcott you've been reading! :) It has been too long since I last read my favorite Alcott books - Little Women & Rose in Bloom. Sounds like I'll need to check out The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott too.

    I fully support your idea of rereading Gone With the Wind too. Rereading that book as an adult was a totally different experience from my experience of reading it as a teen. Love that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for stopping by, Violet...I love the idea of rereading old favorites...I'm thinking I should request Gone With the Wind from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm ashamed to say I've never read Alcott. I've heard about the Berg and Crouch books a bit around the blogging world. I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for stopping by, Jackie...and you don't have to be ASHAMED! Just do it now. Or not. I realize after visiting various blogs that I've missed some classics in my time, too, like To Kill a Mockingbird!

    I wish there was time to read everything we want to read or that we hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved Alcott as a child and teen. It's been too long since I revisited them!

    I've read several Berg and enjoyed them but hadn't seen that one yet.

    my Monday reading roundup.

    Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for stopping by, Joy Renee. I'm glad you like my blog. I have fun "decorating" it (and my other ones—I have nineteen!).

    Yes, it was great rediscovering Alcott, and Berg is a favorite of mine. I'm always eager to get new ones.

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!