LAUREL-RAIN'S PRESCRIPTION

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, WHERE BOOKISH DELIGHTS HOLD CENTER STAGE AND WHERE BOOKS HELP CHASE AWAY THE BLUES.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING?

As we start the new reading week, we celebrate our past week's successes and eagerly anticipate what's on our stacks for the week ahead.  All hosted by Sheila, at Book Journey.

Books Completed Last Week:  (Click the title for the review) 

1)  The Friday Night Club, by Jacob Nelson Lurie

2)  Fifty Is Not a Four-Letter Word, by Linda Kelsey

3)  The Cheater, by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg


Still Reading (But 3/4 Way Done!):

Audition, by Barbara Walters

Coming Up This Week:

1)  On Folly Beach, by Karen White, is a publisher's review copy.

Here's the Amazon product description:

To most people, Folly Beach, South Carolina, is simply the last barrier island before the Atlantic. To some, it's a sanctuary, which is why Janie Hamilton's mother encourages her to buy the local book store, Folly's Finds, hoping it will distract Janie from the loss of her husband in Afghanistan.

Janie is at first resistant, but intrigued after finding love letters and an image of a beautiful bottle tree in a box of used books from Folly's Finds, and decides to take the plunge. The store's seller insists on one condition: Janie must allow Lulu, the late owner's elderly sister, to continue selling her bottle trees from its back yard. Historically, bottle trees were brought by African slaves to the American South, and Janie had grown up with one in her backyard, and it has always been a symbol of refuge to her.

Janie generally ignores Lulu as she sifts through the love letters, wanting to learn more. But the more she discovers of the letters' authors, the closer she feels to Lulu. As details of a possible murder and a mysterious disappearance during World War II are revealed, the two women discover that circumstances beyond their control, sixty years apart, have brought them together, here on Folly Beach. And it is here that their war-ravaged hearts can find hope for a second chance...
2)  A Wild Ride Up the Cupboards, by Ann Bauer, has been on my TBR stacks for awhile.


Here's a blurb from Amazon:

Bauer's nuanced debut chronicles a mother's struggle with her child's mysterious, undiagnosed illness and the once-passionate marriage that doesn't survive the decades of extraordinary stress. Love, marriage and babies follow quickly from Rachel and Jack's first electric meeting, when Rachel is a 20-year-old student at a small Minnesota college and Jack an itinerant worker. But when Edward, the eldest of their three children, turns four, he suddenly transforms from a bright, animated boy to a zombie who goes weeks without sleeping, stares endlessly at his hand and howls to fill a silent room. Settled in Minneapolis, Rachel and Jack try various doctors, codeine and even marijuana tea for their son, who is often mistaken for an autistic, but he stays locked in what he calls, during moments of lucidity, "the nowhere place." Bauer follows the family through Edward's adolescence: Jack struggles with alcoholism and holding down a job while Rachel, a journalist, binds the family together with fierce mother-love. Throughout, Rachel attempts to unravel the mystery of her long-deceased Uncle Mickey, a strange, troubled man whose plight might hold a clue to Edward's disease. Bauer's prose often pierces with authentic, unsentimental power, but blow-by-blow chronological plotting diminishes the novel's grace.
I'm looking forward to these challenging books, and I hope to hear about all of your reading choices for the week.

To explore my Creations, go HERE.


28 comments:

  1. The Friday Night Club looks great! Have a great week and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Folly Beach looks interesting. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good week. My mother has the Fifity is not a Four Letter work book and I remember her saying that she enjoyed it.

    I hope you enjoy your next books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have some great books coming up. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to get Fifty is not a Four Letter Word. It sounds like it might be funny in a tongue in cheek way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Folly Beach sounds good. I like Karen White. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have some interesting books coming up this week. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia, thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a great week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zia, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for stopping by, and have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Becky...I'm hoping I do, too. Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alita, thanks for visiting. I hope to have a good week, and wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Jan, it had lots of humor (and pathos, too!), so it's a winning combo. Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Nise, my first of hers was the Tradd St. book. I'm looking forward to this one. Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie, I'm looking forward to them. Thanks for visiting, and I hope you have a great week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Wild Ride Up the Cupboard looks good - I haven't heard of it before.

    Here's mine: Bibliobabe

    Happy reading!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by, Bibliobabe...Yes, this book was one that just captured my attention at the bookstore. Hope it's good!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you got a lot of reading done - three books is a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had a successful week! Enjoy your line up for this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had some good reading last week. I am going to check out your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Alyce...I was pleased to finish the books on my stack.

    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Mari...I'm looking forward to the week. Hope you have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by, Sheila...It's great to anticipate the books for the new week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you have a great week coming up! thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Bobbie. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your website as I seem to always return on Monday to check out your book reviews. I'm adding Fifty Is Not A Four-Letter Word to my list. Thanks for the compelling review. I'm currently reading an interesting medical fiction thriller called "The Ovary Wars" by Mike Hogan. It's about a declining population and what the government is doing to find out why...is it biological, terrorism or something else... I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Betty, thanks for stopping by...I'm glad you like it here, and you are welcome any time.

    That book The Ovary Wars sounds really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like you've got some good reading coming up. I'm interested to hear what you thought of Audition.

    By the way, I don't know if I've told you before, but I love the background on this blog! Lovely. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle...I think I should have the Audition review up today...I'm closing in on the final pages!

    And thanks for commenting on the background...I like to change things up quite a bit, so I have three or four of those blog background sites on my blogroll so that I can "window shop" every now and then, all in the interests of keeping things lively. But this one I may keep for awhile!

    ReplyDelete

If you're feeling blue, try my prescription and read, read, read!! And if you'd like to give this blog an award, thanks! But I prefer your comments....

Click to Buy Web of Tyranny

Click to Buy Miles to Go

CURRENTLY READING

Laurel-Rain's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Great Suspense!

TO READ

Laurel\-Rain's bookshelf: to-read

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City NovelHanna's DaughtersMiss Hildreth Wore BrownElizabethSolomon's OakSolomon's Oak

More of Laurel-Rain's books »
Laurel-Rain's to-read book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

NETWORKED BLOGS ON FACEBOOK

MORE COLLECTIONS

MORE COLLECTIONS
CHECK THEM OUT!

Great Deals!